12 November 2011

Book Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I LOVED this book! I couldn't get enough of it. I stayed up reading so late that my eyes were blurry and glazed-over before I could even put the book down. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading a few reviews that didn't rate it highly. I won't be making that mistake again.

I think Kathryn Stockett did a wonderful job voicing these black women from the 60's. No, I'm not a black woman and I don't know what it's like to be one, nor will I ever. But I do know what it's like to be born and raised in the South. {Where I STILL live.} Racism is still a part of life in some places, whether we recognize it or not. Segregation in the 60's isn't something I've witnessed, but my Mama did. She told me that my high school Principal {an African-American man who holds a Doctorate in teaching} used to go to a different school just for blacks. And then when they integrated the schools, he was allowed to go to the local public schools. He is a man I greatly admire and it amazes me how anyone who was treated with such hatred can still rise above their opressors and make the world a better place.


Written in the voice of white, frizzy-haired integration-supporter, Skeeter Phelan as well as several African-American maids, The Help is a novel that makes you think. I caught myself thinking more than once {or even 10 times} how none of us are really that different from each other. Of course, I've always known that. We ALL bleed red!


I've sat here for over 20 minutes thinking of what else I should say about this book without sounding like I'm trying to make up for being white, so I'll just say this: There's a reason this book made it to the number-one best seller's list.


And remember The Golden Rule {no matter what decade you're living in}: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. 



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Taylor {OurMilitaryHome.com} said...

I also loved this book (I stayed up till 3 AM to finish it)!

Jaybee said...

LOL I'm not going to read this since I already lost my book :( its gotta be around her somewhere! I will read this later on though :)

Sweet Home Alabama
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sabrina

PitaPata Dog tickers

Tobias

PitaPata Cat tickers

Reba

PitaPata Dog tickers