07 May 2010

Isn't this still America: Land of the FREE?

I thought, that as Americans, we had the freedom to wear whatever we want? Even children in school have that freedom unless it is a private school with uniforms (excluding of course, "gang" memorabilia, vulgar, or revealing clothing). Right? Apparently I thought wrong....


In San Francisco, CA, 5 high school students were sent home for wearing clothing with American Flags on Cinco de Mayo. Apparently, the clothing was offensive to the Mexican-American children. Excuse me, but this ticks me off! Read this quote:

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli, one of the boys, told San Jose's KNTV. "But today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday, so we were not allowed to wear it today."
I have nothing against Mexican-Americans, but Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday. Look it up!
Read what Wikipedia has to say. It's the celebration of a battle won in Puebla, Mexico. Most MEXICANS don't even celebrate it!

If those 5 boys want to represent the country they LIVE in, I don't think they should be punished at ALL! I personally don't find the American Flag offensive. Nor would I find a child wearing the Mexican flag offensive. I would really like to ask that Assistant Principal if he would send home a child wearing a flag from any other country on the Fourth of July?? Seriously?

You can read the rest of the article here.

Please, feel free to leave your input in a comment.
Photobucket

No comments:

Sweet Home Alabama
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sabrina

PitaPata Dog tickers

Tobias

PitaPata Cat tickers

Reba

PitaPata Dog tickers