08 October 2011

Book Review: The Gates by John Connolly

The Gates: A NovelThe Gates: A Novel by John Connolly
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think my library is unaware that this book and The Book of Lost Things are both young adult. So far, this book is creepy and I'm only on page 51. I mean, my neighbors are annoying sometimes, and certainly they get on my nerves when their dog barks too much or their car alarm won't stop going off {like today, it went off every 5-10 minutes. All. Day. Long. (10-03-11)}. But, thankfully, they have never held a seance to open a portal to Hell. That I know of...



More to come.




Pretty good read over all. I think it would be somewhat scary even for young adults. I definitely wanted to find out what happened to Nurd, but I liked how the book ended anyway.




I enjoyed the character that was meant to eat Samuel. {The one under the bed.} I thought it was quite funny how he didn't know what he was doing. I found myself giggling while reading his part and the weird thing in the pond. How did he get to be left behind when the portal was closed?




And the conversations between the Vicar and Mr. Berkeley was very humorous, too. I've included it in my favorite quotes as well.




"I don't think," he said, "that a vicar is supposed to beat a bishop to death, or even back to death."


Mr. Berkeley looked down upon the remains of Bishop Bernard.


"If anyone asks, we'll say he fell over," he said. "Lots of times."



View all my reviews

No comments:

Sweet Home Alabama
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sabrina

PitaPata Dog tickers

Tobias

PitaPata Cat tickers

Reba

PitaPata Dog tickers