03 February 2011

Cardboard Picture-frame Makeover

 Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner,
and I had a few cardboard picture-frames lying around,
I thought I would makeover one for V-day. 
(holy run-on sentence Batman!)

The supplies I used:  
  • Cardboard picture frame with heart cut-out 
  • scrapbook paper 
  • seam-binding lace (or whatever lace you might have on hand)
  • tacky glue
  • Zots
  • Hot-glue gun
  • Scissors (duh)
  • X-Acto Knife 
First, I tried to take out the insert from
the picture frame so I could see how big the inner
picture was, and the cheap thing fell apart!
 
(Good thing too; there's no way I could
have done it with the back on it.)
 
After the frame was apart, I flipped my scrapbook
paper over to the back, laid the frame front on it, 
and traced around the frame and inside the heart.
Then, I cut out about 1/2-in around the trace of
the frame.
Next, I cut an 'X' from one side of the heart
to the other and cut up the inside into 1/2-in
"flaps"--to be folded into the frame.

I placed the frame on top and folded the pieces
inward and glued them down using the tacky glue.
Then, I glued the outer edges of the paper.
The next thing I did, I can't show you... LOL.
I had to hold the frame and the lace at the same time,
so I couldn't take pics.

I took my X-Acto knife and cut my 
Zots (sticky circles used to adhere
pictures/paper) into smaller pieces. Then I 
stuck one small piece just on the inside edge of the
heart. I overlapped the lace, using my nail
to push it into the Zot. Then I moved on about
1/4 inch and placed another Zot and overlapped
the lace the other way; creating a ruffled effect.
I continued doing this until I reached my starting point.
Then, using the hot-glue gun, I put a tiny bead in
a few places on the outside of the heart, to make 
the lace lay down.
After letting the paper on the back dry some,
I super-glued around the bottom and the two sides
to attach the front to the back. (This frame
also had a piece of string attached between the front 
and back, to hold the "leg-thing" up in the back. Yes
that is the technical term that I'm using...)

Here is the finished product with a picture of 
"The Princess", my niece.

I hope y'all like this. :) I think it is super-cute
and can be used not only for Valentine's Day,
but all year long. Especially since I put
this sweet picture in it!
Don't you love the frame on the right too? I got 
it at TJ Maxx for $4.00. I made the heart inside
out of felt, which I sewed on in a zig-zag
pattern. (It didn't turn out the way I had planned,
but that was the first time using my sewing machine.)
 
************************
 
Also, you may have noticed my glue-gun:
 I'm sure all you crafters out there have heard
of  Hot Glue Gun Helpers. I would love to have one, 
but since I don't have much money for
stuff like that, I had to improvise. That CD you see
is actually one of those old AOL discs everyone
used to get in the mail that offered free hours
of AOL. I knew keeping it would come in handy! :)

No comments:

Sweet Home Alabama
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sabrina

PitaPata Dog tickers

Tobias

PitaPata Cat tickers

Reba

PitaPata Dog tickers